Are you struggling to find resources and activities for teaching light? You’ve come to the right place! This Light Unit provides everything you need! Save time planning and your students will love completing the hands-on activities found in this unit.
To take a closer look at some of the things included in this unit, check out the preview images at the top of the page!
What will students investigate with this Light Unit?
- What light is
- Light waves (transverse waves)
- What happens when light strikes an object (reflection, refraction, transmission, and absorption)
- How light travels through objects (transparent, translucent, and opaque)
- Visible Light
- How humans see colors
- The relationship between energy and light
- How radiant energy can be transformed into other forms of energy such as mechanical, electrical, and thermal
This Light Unit also comes with three bonus lessons about the electromagnetic spectrum, how humans see black and white, and the differences between natural and artificial light. The information from these bonus lessons is not included on the assessment found in this unit, but these lessons provide some additional hands-on activities that can be used to reinforce the concepts listed above.
What comes in this unit?
- 14 Worksheets
- 9 Centers
- 5 Entry/exit tickets
- 4 Posters
- 1 Foldable
- 1 Close Reading Passage with Comprehension Questions
- 1 Quiz
- 1 Test
- Lots of engaging, hands-on activities
- 2 Sets of Word Wall Cards: One set of word wall cards with pictures and another set with only the term on each card. 18 word wall cards total.
- 1 Timeline of Suggested Activities: Provides a timeline for using the activities and experiments included within this set and provides links to websites featuring videos of concepts being taught.
- Answer keys
What are key terms used throughout the unit?
- Transverse Waves
- Visible Light
- Radiant Energy
Are digital resources included?
Some worksheets, the quiz, and the test within this Light Unit are also included in a digital format and can be shared with students using your Google Drive.
When you purchase this product, you will be given access to a link that will allow you to open the file in Google Slides. You’ll then share that file with your students. The slides can be printed and adapted for students who prefer to answer the questions by hand. You can also view and print a student’s completed version of the slides.
What standards are covered?
This Light Unit closely aligns with most science standards related to teaching light. It is also aligned with both the 2010 and 2018 Virginia science SOLs. It is aligned with science SOL 5.3 if using the 2010 standards and science SOL 5.6 if using the 2018 standards.
What are other buyers saying?
- “I really appreciate how well-organized and aligned these lessons are. They make my planning much easier.” (Cassi W.)
- “This is a perfect resource to prepare fifth-grade students for the VA Science SOL. It helps them not only to review concepts, but also to practice manipulating items on the computer (in preparation for TEI items). I’d highly recommend this to anyone looking for resources for fifth-grade science!” (Sarah P.)
- “I’m a big fan of your units. These are fantastic! Each daily lesson has a great focus for the day that directly correlates to our standards. There’s a wide range of activities and videos for the students. It is laid out so nice and neatly. It is completely set up and ready to go, with minimal supplemental activities needed (which is listed as well). I’ve gotten the Sound Unit as well and love them.” (Lynsey T.)
- “AWESOME resource-saves me so much time!” (Brittany F.)
- “My students enjoyed using this resource and made planning the unit much easier for me.” (anonymous buyer)
Want to save money?
This Light Unit is included in my 5th Grade Science Unit Bundle for a discounted price!
Don’t Miss Out!
This Light Unit is perfect if you are low on planning time or have no idea where to begin! Students will also have fun learning the information as they complete all of the activities!
More science resources:
©Meghan Vestal, Vestal’s 21st Century Classroom LLC. All rights reserved. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for teachers, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Teachers may NOT upload the product to school/district servers, or to any website, or share digital or print copies. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). All sales are final.