Do you need to teach ecosystems, but have no idea where to start? You’ve come to the right place! This Ecosystems Unit provides everything you need! Save time planning and your students will love completing the hands-on activities and experiments found in this unit.
To take a closer look at some of the things included in this unit, check out the preview images at the top of the page!
What will students investigate through these 7 detailed lesson plans?
- Populations, communities, and ecosystems
- The relationships between living and nonliving things in an ecosystem
- Food webs and food chains
- How an organism’s niche may change throughout its life cycle
- Using a dichotomous key to sort and classify organisms
This Ecosystems Unit also comes with two bonus lessons about animal adaptations and the human impact on ecosystems. The information from these lessons is not included on the assessments found in this unit, but these lessons provide some additional hands-on activities that can be used to reinforce the concepts listed above.
What comes in this unit?
- 13 Worksheets
- 7 Center activities
- 5 Sorts and foldables
- 4 Entry/exit tickets
- 4 Close Reading Passages with Comprehension Questions
- 2 Research project
- 1 Quiz
- 1 Test
- 2 Sets of Word Wall Cards: One set of word wall cards with pictures and another set with only the term on each card. 20 word wall cards total.
- 1 Timeline of Suggested Activities: Provides a timeline for using the activities and experiments included within this set and provides links to websites featuring videos of concepts being taught.
- Answer keys
What are key terms used throughout the unit?
- Food Chain
- Food Web
Are digital resources included?
The worksheets, quiz, and test within this unit are also included in a digital format and can be shared with students using your Google Drive.
When you purchase this product, you will be given access to a link that will allow you to open the file in Google Slides. You’ll then share that file with your students. The slides can be printed and adapted for students who prefer to answer the questions by hand. You can also view and print a student’s completed version of the slides.
What standards are covered?
This Ecosystems Unit closely aligns with most science standards related to teaching ecosystems.
They are also aligned with both the 2010 and 2018 Virginia science SOLs. They are aligned with science SOL 4.5 if using the 2010 standards and science SOL 4.3 if using the 2018 standards.
What are other buyers saying about this Ecosystems Unit?
- “These are the best units ever! They save me so much time with planning, and the interactive lessons and activities are so much fun! Thank you!” (Annie P.)
- “Well thought out materials and easy to implement!” (Joanne M.)
- “So many wonderful and engaging activities for my scholars. They loved the unit and so did I!” (Brea D.)
- “This unit is so helpful for someone who struggles when it comes to teaching / planning for science units. Everything you need is included!” (Tania C.)
- “This is my third science unit of yours I have bought! Love them, and really are clear and easy to use. Thank you for creating these!” (Kelsey D.)
- “This hands-on science unit was PERFECT to get my students excited about science! We especially loved the experiments about adaptations.” (Kelsey W.)
- “Very thorough and easy to use. Thank you.” (Whitney H.)
- “You’re units make planning so much easier!” (anonymous buyer)
Want to save money?
This Ecosystems Unit is included in my 4th Grade Science Unit Bundle for a discounted price!
Don’t Miss Out!
These lesson plans are perfect for if you have to teach ecosystems and are low on planning time or have no idea where to begin! Students will also have fun learning the information as they complete all of the activities!
More science resources:
- Ecosystems Task Cards
- Ecosystems Jeopardy Game
- Ecosystems Escape Room
- 4th Grade Science Task Cards Bundle
©Meghan Vestal, Vestal’s 21st Century Classroom LLC. All rights reserved. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for teachers, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Teachers may NOT upload the product to school/district servers, or to any website, or share digital or print copies. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). All sales are final.