Aquatic and Terrestrial Ecosystems Unit
This Aquatic and Terrestrial Ecosystems Unit will provide you with lots of fun, hands-on activities for teaching about different types of ecosystems and food chains within those ecosystems! With everything you need in this unit, you will save lots of time planning and your students will love completing the hands-on activities.
To take a closer look at some of the activities included in this unit, click the preview images at the top of the page.
What will students investigate with these detailed lesson plans?
- Aquatic ecosystems (ponds, marshes, swamps, streams, rivers, and oceans)
- Terrestrial ecosystems (deserts, grasslands, rain forests, and forests)
- Living and nonliving things within different ecosystems
- Similarities and differences between types of ecosystems
- Examples of producers, consumers, and decomposers within different ecosystems
- Food chains
- How a change in one part of a food chain can impact the rest of an ecosystem
What comes in this Aquatic and Terrestrial Ecosystems Unit?
- 9 Detailed lesson plans
- Entry/exit tickets
- Sorts and foldables
- Passages and questions
- Research-based activities
- SCOOT activity
- Lots of engaging, hands-on activities and experiments
- 2 Sets of Word Wall Cards: One set of word wall cards with pictures and another set with only the term on each card.
- 1 Timeline of Suggested Activities: Provides a timeline for using the activities and experiments included within this set and provides links to websites featuring videos of concepts being taught.
- Answer keys
What key terms are used throughout the unit?
- Aquatic Ecosystem
- Terrestrial Ecosystem
- Fresh Water Ecosystem
- Salt Water Ecosystem
- Food Chain
Are digital resources included?
Some worksheets, the quiz, and the test within this Aquatic and Terrestrial Ecosystems Unit are also included in a digital format and can be shared with students using your Google Drive.
When you purchase this product, you will be given access to a link that will allow you to open the file in Google Slides. You’ll then share that file with your students. The slides can be printed and adapted for students who prefer to answer the questions by hand. You can also view and print a student’s completed version of the slides.
What standards are covered?
This Aquatic and Terrestrial Ecosystems Unit closely aligns with most science standards related to teaching about the different types of ecosystems. The unit is also aligned with both the 2010 and 2018 Virginia science SOLs. It is aligned with science SOLs 3.5a and 3.6 if using the 2010 standards and science SOL 3.5 if using the 2018 standards.
What are other buyers saying about this science unit?
- “Your science units are always my favorite! Thanks for another high quality, complete unit aligned with the SOLs! I can’t wait to use this with my students.” (Arianna T.)
- “I love this set. It goes along perfectly with our unit on Ecosystems. I like the articles and the ability to put everything in Google Classrooms to use with our new Chromebooks!” (Katie W.)
- “I loved giving this resource to my students, and they enjoyed the activities.” (Kristina W.)
- “Very well put together resource; thank you.” (Edith C.)
- “Great Resource!” (Stephanie S.)
- “This is my first year in 3rd grade. These have saved me a lot of time!” (Elizabeth P.)
- “Thanks for all the hands-on activities in this resource.” (Sandra T.)
- “My students had fun with these resources. They were easy to use and aligned with the standards.” (J.B.)
- “Excellent and thorough unit. I look forward to using more of them.” (Reagan M.)
Want to save money?
This Aquatic and Terrestrial Ecosystems Unit is included in my 3rd Grade Science Unit Bundle for a discounted price!
Don’t Miss Out!
This Aquatic and Terrestrial Ecosystems Unit is perfect if you are low on planning time or have no idea where to begin! Students will also have fun learning the information as they complete all of the activities!
More science resources:
- Aquatic and Terrestrial Ecosystems Task Cards
- Aquatic and Terrestrial Ecosystems Jeopardy Game
- Aquatic and Terrestrial Ecosystems Escape Room
- 3rd Grade Science Task Cards Bundle
©Meghan Vestal, Vestal’s 21st Century Classroom LLC. All rights reserved. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for teachers, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Teachers may NOT upload the product to school/district servers, or to any website, or share digital or print copies. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). All sales are final.
There are no reviews yet.