Electricity and Magnets Unit
Are you looking for engaging lessons and activities that have to do with electricity and magnets? Look no further! This Electricity and Magnets Unit provides everything you need! Save time planning and your students will love completing the hands-on activities.
To take a closer look at some of the activities included in this unit, check out the preview images at the top of the page!
What will students investigate with this Electricity and Magnets Unit?
- Conductors and insulators
- Open and closed circuits
- Static electricity
- Basic concepts about magnets
- How to build an electromagnet and determine the strength of an electromagnet
- Forms of energy (thermal, radiant, and mechanical)
- How electrical energy is transformed into other forms of energy
This Electricity and Magnets Unit also comes with two bonus lessons about parallel and series circuits and famous scientists who made contributions to electricity and magnetism. The information from these lessons is not included on the assessments found in this unit, but these lessons provide some additional hands-on activities that can be used to reinforce the concepts listed above.
What comes in this Electricity and Magnets Unit?
- 11 Worksheets
- 7 Centers
- 4 Entry/exit tickets
- 3 Sorts and foldables
- 3 Posters
- Lots of engaging, hands-on activities and experiments
- 2 Sets of Word Wall Cards: One set of word wall cards with pictures and another set with only the term on each card. 40 word wall cards total.
- 1 Timeline of Suggested Activities: Provides a timeline for using the activities and experiments included within this set and provides links to websites featuring videos of concepts being taught.
- Answer keys
What are key terms used throughout the unit?
- Electric Current
- Open Circuit
- Closed Circuit
- Static Electricity
- Thermal Energy
- Radiant Energy
- Mechanical Energy
Are digital resources included?
Some worksheets, the quiz, and the test within this Electricity and Magnets Unit are also included in a digital format and can be shared with students using your Google Drive.
When you purchase this product, you will be given access to a link that will allow you to open the file in Google Slides. You’ll then share that file with your students. The slides can be printed and adapted for students who prefer to answer the questions by hand. You can also view and print a student’s completed version of the slides.
What standards are covered?
This Electricity and Magnets Unit closely aligns with most science standards related to teaching electricity and magnets, including NGSS (4-PS3-2 and 4-PS3-4). The unit is also aligned with both the 2010 and 2018 Virginia science SOLs. It is aligned with science SOL 4.3 if using the 2010 standards and science SOL 5.4 if using the 2018 standards.
What are other buyers saying about this science unit?
- “These are the best units ever! They save me so much time with planning, and the interactive lessons and activities are so much fun! Thank you!” (Annie P.)
- “My students loved this unit and it was so easy for me to incorporate!” (anonymous buyer)
- “This unit provides me with resources to meet the electricity and magnetism standards. I like the detailed lesson plans and examples for hands-on experiments! This unit is so helpful since we do not have an adopted textbook series for science! Thank you!” (Michelle R.)
- “Extremely thorough unit on electricity and magnetism! Wow! I can’t wait to use the multiple resources with my 5th-grade science classes!!!” (Tammy L.)
- “My school has not curriculum for 4th-grade science, therefore this unit helped provide us with resources and a guide to meet the electricity and magnetism standards. I liked the detailed lesson plans and examples for hands-on experiments!” (Sarah K.)
- “I can’t say enough about this unit!! As a first-year teacher starting a new unit can be overwhelming trying to make sure to have experiments, vocab, and all essential knowledge, but this resource is so well put together that I’m not worried at all!! Thank you for taking the time on this unit and for the excellent price!” (Michele T.)
- “Loved this unit! SO easy to use and it is so awesome it comes with a quiz and a test.” (Kira D.)
- “This bundle is phenomenal. Very helpful and takes a lot of stress off my shoulders.” (Mahlia M.)
Want to save money?
This Electricity and Magnets Unit is included in my 5th Grade Science Unit Bundle for a discounted price!
Don’t Miss Out!
This Electricity and Magnets Unit is perfect if you are low on planning time or have no idea where to begin! Students will also have fun learning the information as they complete all of the activities!
More science resources:
- Electricity and Magnets Task Cards
- Electricity Jeopardy Game
- Electricity Escape Room
- 5th Grade Science Task Cards Bundle
©Meghan Vestal, Vestal’s 21st Century Classroom LLC. All rights reserved. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for teachers, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Teachers may NOT upload the product to school/district servers, or to any website, or share digital or print copies. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). All sales are final.