Solar System Unit
Are you short on time and trying to put together engaging activities to teach the solar system? Look no further! This Solar System Unit provides everything you need! You will save valuable planning time and your students will have fun while completing the hands-on activities and experiments outlined within these lesson plans.
To take a closer look at some of the things included in this unit, check out the preview images at the top of the page!
What will students investigate through these 8 detailed lesson plans?
- The difference between rotation and revolution
- The phases of the moon
- Why we have day, years, and seasons
- The characteristics of the planets
- The difference between terrestrial planets and gas giants
- Famous astronomers
- The relationship between the Earth, moon, and sun
- The relationship between the moon and the tides
What comes in this unit?
- 9 Worksheets
- 4 Entry/exit tickets
- 3 Center Activities: Center activities include sorts and task cards to help students review the order and characteristics of the planets.
- 3 Sorts and foldables
- 2 Quizzes: One quiz is about the phases of the moon and the relationship between the Earth, moon, and sun. The other quiz is about the planets.
- 2 Sets of Word Wall Cards: One set of word wall cards with pictures and another set with only the term on each card. 50 word wall cards total.
- 1 Planet Book: Students will create a book as they research the planets.
- 1 Moon Phase Book: Students will create a book and use it to observe the moon’s phases for up to 15 consecutive days.
- 1 Poster: Features a saying to help students remember the order of the planets.
- 1 Timeline of Suggested Activities: Provides a timeline for using the activities and experiments included within this set and provides links to websites featuring videos of concepts being taught.
- 1 Test
- Answer keys
What are key terms used throughout the unit?
- Geocentric Model
- Heliocentric Model
- Terrestrial Plant
- Gas Giant
Are digital resources included?
The worksheets, quizzes, and test within this unit are also included in a digital format and can be shared with students using your Google Drive.
When you purchase this product, you will be given access to a link that will allow you to open the file in Google Slides. You’ll then share that file with your students. The slides can be printed and adapted for students who prefer to answer the questions by hand. You can also view and print a student’s completed version of the slides.
What standards are covered?
These solar system lesson plans are closely aligned with most science standards related to the sun, moon, and planets.
This unit is also aligned with both the 2010 and 2018 Virginia science SOLs. It is aligned with science SOLs 4.7 and 4.8 if using the 2010 standards and science SOLs 4.5 and 4.6 if using the 2018 standards.
What are other buyers saying about this Solar System Unit?
- “These are the best units ever! They save me so much time with planning, and the interactive lessons and activities are so much fun! I love the variety of activities, experiments, and videos to get students involved.” (Annie P.)
- “Quick, easy to use, and effective!” (Miranda S.)
- “Love this product and makes my life easier.” (Karen G.)
- “I love this resource! My kids had such a fun time with this unit.” (Melissa M.)
- “I love the ease of your units! The content is taught in meaningful ways that my students enjoy! Thank you!” (Michelle R.)
- “My students and I are both in LOVE with these Science activities. It makes learning fun and exciting…I have students who say throughout the day “I can’t wait for science today!” Thank you!” (Deanna I.)
- “Kids really enjoyed! Great resource!” (Jennifer M.)
- “All of your resources are well aligned and I enjoy following your sequence of the unit!” (Kristen C.)
Want to save money?
This Solar System Unit is included in my 4th Grade Science Unit Bundle for a discounted price!
Don’t Miss Out!
These lesson plans are perfect for if you have to teach the solar system and are low on planning time or have no idea where to begin! Students will also have fun learning the information as they complete all of the activities!
More science resources:
- Planet Task Cards
- Planets Jeopardy Game
- Planets Escape Room
- Earth, Moon, and Sun Jeopardy Game
- Earth, Moon, and Sun Escape Room
- 4th Grade Science Task Cards Bundle
©Meghan Vestal, Vestal’s 21st Century Classroom LLC. All rights reserved. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for teachers, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Teachers may NOT upload the product to school/district servers, or to any website, or share digital or print copies. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). All sales are final.
There are no reviews yet.