Are you looking for engaging lesson plans and activities that have to do with the Earth’s layers, plate tectonics, and the rock cycle? Look no further! This Geology Unit provides everything you need! Save time planning and your students will love completing the hands-on activities.
To take a closer look at some of the activities included in this unit, check out the preview images at the top of the page!
What will students investigate with this Geology Unit?
- The layers of the Earth and their characteristics
- Tectonic plate movements and what is created by each type of movement
- Igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic rocks
- Weathering, erosion, and deposition
- The rock cycle
- What can be learned from fossils and rock layers
This Geology Unit also comes with one bonus lesson that helps students to identify specific examples of igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic rocks. The information from this lesson is not included on the assessments found in this unit, but this lesson provides some additional hands-on activities that can be used to reinforce the concepts listed above.
What comes in this Geology Unit?
- 6 Detailed lesson plans (plus one bonus lesson)
- Entry/exit tickets
- Cut and paste activity
- Dichotomous key activity
- Lots of engaging, hands-on activities and experiments
- 2 Sets of Word Wall Cards: One set of word wall cards with pictures and another set with only the term on each card.
- 1 Timeline of Suggested Activities: Provides a timeline for using the activities and experiments included within this set and provides links to websites featuring videos of concepts being taught.
- Answer keys
What are key terms used throughout the unit?
- Outer Core
- Inner Core
- Tectonic Plate
- Convergent Boundary
- Divergent Boundary
- Transform Boundary
- Igneous Rock
- Sedimentary Rock
- Metamorphic Rock
Are digital resources included?
Some worksheets, the quiz, and the test within this Geology Unit are also included in a digital format and can be shared with students using your Google Drive.
When you purchase this product, you will be given access to a link that will allow you to open the file in Google Slides. You’ll then share that file with your students. The slides can be printed and adapted for students who prefer to answer the questions by hand. You can also view and print a student’s completed version of the slides.
What standards are covered?
This Geology Unit closely aligns with most science standards related to teaching geology. The unit is also aligned with both the 2010 and 2018 Virginia science SOLs. It is aligned with science SOL 5.7 if using the 2010 standards and science SOL 5.8 if using the 2018 standards.
What are other buyers saying?
- “Thorough, super-easy to use resource. I loved the hands-on activities provided.” (Debra B.)
- “Easy to use and the students love it!” (Taylor V.)
- “This resource has made my planning for the unit so much easier and I love all of the hands-on activities. Definitely worth the money!” (Cassi W.)
- “What an amazing resource! All hands-on activities with complete notes AND lesson plans! This is my first year in 5th grade an this helped ME to learn the material while I was teaching it. Thank you!” (Nicole P.)
- “What a thorough, well planned and inclusive unit! So grateful for the imbedded videos!! Love the assessments and activities!! Thank you!” (anonymous buyer)
- “Great resource with detailed and meaningful lessons!” (anonymous buyer)
- “Amazing and comprehensive resource with engaging activities!” (anonymous buyer)
Want to save money?
This Geology Unit is included in my 5th Grade Science Unit Bundle for a discounted price!
Don’t Miss Out!
This Geology Unit is perfect if you are low on planning time or have no idea where to begin! Students will also have fun learning the information as they complete all of the activities!
More science resources:
©Meghan Vestal, Vestal’s 21st Century Classroom LLC. All rights reserved. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for teachers, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Teachers may NOT upload the product to school/district servers, or to any website, or share digital or print copies. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). All sales are final.