This Soil Unit will provide you with lots of fun, hands-on activities for teaching soil formation, types of soil, and soil layers! With everything you need in this unit, you will save lots of time planning and your students will love completing the hands-on activities.
To take a closer look at some of the activities included in this unit, click the preview images at the top of the page.
What will students investigate with these detailed lesson plans?
- Why soil is important and how it supports life
- How soil is formed
- The different components and types of soil
- Soil layers or horizons
- What type of soil is best for growing plants
This Soil Unit also comes with one bonus lesson about soil erosion and conservation. The information from this bonus lesson is not included on the assessment found in this unit, but this lesson provides some additional hands-on activities that can be used to reinforce the concepts listed above.
What comes in this Soil Unit?
- 5 Detailed lesson plans (and one bonus lesson)
- Entry/exit tickets
- Passage and questions
- Center activities
- Student investigation book
- Lots of engaging, hands-on activities and experiments
- 2 Sets of Word Wall Cards: One set of word wall cards with pictures and another set with only the term on each card.
- 1 Timeline of Suggested Activities: Provides a timeline for using the activities and experiments included within this set and provides links to websites featuring videos of concepts being taught.
- Answer keys
What key terms are used throughout the unit?
- Parent Material
Are digital resources included?
Some worksheets, the quiz, and the test within this Soil Unit are also included in a digital format and can be shared with students using your Google Drive.
When you purchase this product, you will be given access to a link that will allow you to open the file in Google Slides. You’ll then share that file with your students. The slides can be printed and adapted for students who prefer to answer the questions by hand. You can also view and print a student’s completed version of the slides.
What standards are covered?
This Soil Unit closely aligns with most science standards related to teaching soil. It is also aligned with both the 2010 and 2018 Virginia science SOLs. It is aligned with science SOL 3.7 if using the 2010 standards and science SOL 3.6 if using the 2018 standards.
What are other buyers saying about this science unit?
- “This is a very thorough resource. I love how laid out everything is for me to follow. The students love how many hands-on ideas are included. Thank you!” (Megan W.)
- “Your science units are always my favorite! Thanks for another high quality, complete unit aligned with the SOLs! I can’t wait to use this with my students.” (Arianna T.)
- “I love how easily this unit is laid out. I also love all of the hands-on activities for the kids!” (Amy D.)
- “Great resource to use to help students understand the components of soil.” (Terry S.)
- “This is a great resource!” (Elizabeth P.)
- “Great and complete resource!” (Susan S.)
Want to save money?
This Soil Unit is included in my 3rd Grade Science Unit Bundle for a discounted price!
Don’t Miss Out!
This Soil Unit is perfect if you are low on planning time or have no idea where to begin! Students will also have fun learning the information as they complete all of the activities!
More science resources:
©Meghan Vestal, Vestal’s 21st Century Classroom LLC. All rights reserved. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for teachers, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Teachers may NOT upload the product to school/district servers, or to any website, or share digital or print copies. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). All sales are final.
There are no reviews yet.