Are you short on time and trying to put together engaging activities to teach the ocean? Look no further! This Ocean Unit provides everything you need! You will save valuable planning time and your students will have fun while completing the hands-on activities and experiments outlined within these lesson plans.
To take a closer look at some of the things included in this unit, check out the preview images at the top of this page!
What will students investigate through these 7 detailed lesson plans?
- The five oceans
- The ocean floor
- Ocean zones
- Ocean ecosystems
- Ocean food webs
What comes in this unit?
- 8 Worksheets
- 7 Hands-On Activities (experiments, demonstrations, constructing models, etc.)
- 5 Entry/exit tickets
- 4 Close Reading Passages with Comprehension Questions
- 2 Sorts
- 1 Quiz
- 1 Test
- 2 Sets of Word Wall Cards: One set of word wall cards with pictures and another set with only the term on each card. 23 word wall cards total.
- 1 Timeline of Suggested Activities: Provides a timeline for using the activities and experiments included within this set and provides links to websites featuring videos of concepts being taught.
- Answer keys
What are key terms used throughout the unit?
- Continental shelf
- Continental slope
- Continental rise
- Abyssal plain
- Mid-ocean ridge
Are digital resources included?
The worksheets, quiz, and test within this unit are also included in a digital format and can be shared with students using your Google Drive.
When you purchase this Ocean Unit, you will be given access to a link that will allow you to open the file in Google Slides. You’ll then share that file with your students. The slides can be printed and adapted for students who prefer to answer the questions by hand. You can also view and print a student’s completed version of the slides.
What standards are covered?
This Ocean Unit is closely aligned with most science standards related to the ocean.
It is also aligned with both the 2010 and 2018 Virginia science SOLs. It is aligned with science SOL 5.6 if using the 2010 standards and science SOL 4.7 if using the 2018 standards.
What are other buyers saying about this Ocean Unit?
- “A thorough resource for any ocean unit of study. A highly engaging unit and my students are loving it.” (Sandra M.)
- “Right on target – interesting, lots of information and great for engaging students and getting grades.” (Donna W.)
- “This was so helpful for our ocean unit! Creative, engaging, and thorough! Love the different styles of activities (i.e. hands-on, worksheets, etc). My students absolutely loved using this! Fantastic resource!” (Antonia P.)
- “Love all of these units! So engaging for my students. Thank you!” (Deanna I.)
- “Thorough, informative and engaging activities.” (Jennifer R.)
- “Wow – this resource was fantastic! I loved how engaging the activities were and how easy it was for me to use! It saved so much time. Thank you!” (Annie P.)
- “This resource is AMAZING! It’s exactly what I needed! I can’t wait to use it when I start our oceans unit next week. I love all of your units!” (anonymous buyer)
- “I love your units! this one was probably one of my kids’ favorites, and I loved having extra resources!” (anonymous buyer)
- “I just love this unit! It fits all the VA standards for fourth-grade ocean studies. The lessons, labs, and activities are very detailed. I love the links included in the lesson. This is a great unit and purchase. Thank you!” (Tara B.)
Want to save money?
This Ocean Unit is included in my 4th Grade Science Unit Bundle for a discounted price!
Don’t Miss Out!
These lesson plans are perfect for if you have to teach the ocean and are low on planning time or have no idea where to begin! Students will also have fun learning the information as they complete all of the activities!
More science resources:
©Meghan Vestal, Vestal’s 21st Century Classroom LLC. All rights reserved. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for teachers, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Teachers may NOT upload the product to school/district servers, or to any website, or share digital or print copies. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). All sales are final.