Cycles in Nature Unit
This Cycles in Nature Unit will provide you with lots of fun, hands-on activities for teaching cycles in nature such as day and night, seasons, moon phases, tides, animal life cycles, and plant life cycles! With everything you need in this unit, you will save lots of time planning and your students will love completing the hands-on activities.
To take a closer look at some of the activities included in this unit, click preview images at the top of the page.
What will students investigate with these detailed lesson plans?
- How to define “cycle”
- Why we have day and night
- Why we have seasons
- Why we have moon phases (students will also model the moon phases- new moon, first quarter, full moon, and third/last quarter)
- Why we have tides (students will also analyze tidal charts)
- Animal life cycles (frog and butterfly included)
- Plant life cycles
What comes in this Cycles in Nature Unit?
- 6 Detailed lesson plans
- Entry/exit tickets
- Lots of engaging, hands-on activities and experiments
- 2 Sets of Word Wall Cards: One set of word wall cards with pictures and another set with only the term on each card.
- 1 Timeline of Suggested Activities: Provides a timeline for using the activities and experiments included within this set and provides links to websites featuring videos of concepts being taught.
- Answer keys
What key terms are used throughout the unit?
- First Quarter
- Third/Last Quarter
- New Moon
- Full Moon
- High Tide
- Low Tide
Are digital resources included?
Some worksheets, the quiz, and the test within this Cycles in Nature Unit are also included in a digital format and can be shared with students using your Google Drive.
When you purchase this product, you will be given access to a link that will allow you to open the file in Google Slides. You’ll then share that file with your students. The slides can be printed and adapted for students who prefer to answer the questions by hand. You can also view and print a student’s completed version of the slides.
What standards are covered?
This Cycles in Nature Unit closely aligns with most science standards related to teaching different cycles in nature, although it is specifically aligned to the 2010 Virginia science SOLs (3.8).
What are other buyers saying about this science unit?
- “This is my third purchase from Vestal’s 21st Century Classroom and I have to say that I really have enjoyed having the lessons aligned to VA SOLs and laid out in an organized manner. Bouns: my students really enjoy the activities.” (Tiana C.)
- “Amazing and comprehensive resource with engaging activities!” (anonymous buyer)
- “Great unit!” (Reagan M.)
- “Kids and I both loved this!!! Thanks so much!” (Sarah T.)
- “This was a very thorough unit! Thank you for a fantastic SOL-aligned product!” (Arianna T.)
- “This resource has been the best thing I’ve bought. I love it!” (Candice G.)
Don’t Miss Out!
This Cycles in Nature Unit is perfect if you are low on planning time or have no idea where to begin! Students will also have fun learning the information as they complete all of the activities!
More science resources:
- Cycles in Nature Task Cards
- 3rd Grade Science and Engineering Practices
- 3rd Grade Science Task Cards Bundle
©Meghan Vestal, Vestal’s 21st Century Classroom LLC. All rights reserved. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for teachers, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Teachers may NOT upload the product to school/district servers, or to any website, or share digital or print copies. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). All sales are final.