Westward Expansion Escape Room
In Westward Expansion Escape Room students are in the process of time traveling back in time to study westward expansion when their time machine malfunctions! The only way to repair the time machine and return to the present is for students to successfully complete seven challenges.
To take a closer look at the escape room activities included, check out the product images!
What will students learn with this classroom escape room?
- The Louisiana Purchase
- The Lewis and Clark Expedition
- How new states and territories were added to the United States (Louisiana, Florida, Texas, Oregon, and California)
- Negative aspects of westward expansion including the treatment of American Indians
- Transportation that aided westward expansion (Eerie Canal, Oregon Trail, Santa Fe Trail, steamboat, and steam locomotive)
- The California Gold Rush
- Manifest Destiny
What escape room activities are included?
When completing the activities, students will use critical thinking and inference skills. Challenges include activities such as:
- Reading information and drawing conclusions about the Louisiana Purchase and Lewis and Clark Expedition
- Decoding information about new states and territories
- Matching the causes and effects of westward expansion
- Decoding information about transportation that aided westward expansion
- Sorting true facts about westward expansion
- Decoding information about Manifest Destiny
- Creating codes with given information
Are students able to complete any escape room activities digitally?
An option is provided for students to submit their final code through Google Forms. When using this option, students can self-check their work. If you do not have access to technology in your classroom, an option is also provided for students to check their work on paper.
What standards are covered?
This Westward Expansion Escape Room is specifically aligned with Virginia SOL USI.8a-d but also covers most U.S. History standards related to westward expansion.
Don’t Miss Out!
Students will love completing the activities in this Westward Expansion Escape Room! Teacher instructions are provided, making it easy to set up and use in your classroom.
If you would like more information about using classroom escape rooms, check out my blog post “Create the Perfect Classroom Escape Room.”
©Meghan Vestal, Vestal’s 21st Century Classroom. All rights reserved. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for teachers, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Teachers may NOT upload the product to school/district servers, or to any website, or share digital or print copies. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). All sales are final.