Virginia Studies: Reconstruction Unit
Virginia Studies: Reconstruction Unit is a hands-on unit that combines history and language arts skills. Everything you need to teach a unit about the history of Virginia during and after Reconstruction can be found here!
For a closer look at the activities in this unit, see the preview video and images at the top of the page!
What skills are covered in this Virginia Studies unit?
This unit includes 4 detailed lesson plans. All lesson plans are hands-on and incorporate literacy skills. Students will investigate–
- The problems Virginia faced during Reconstruction
- Efforts made to resolve problems during Reconstruction (The Freedmen’s Bureau and sharecropping)
- How African Americans gained rights during Reconstruction and lost many of those rights because of Jim Crow laws
- The effects of Jim Crow laws on African Americans and American Indians
- The effects of segregation and discrimination on Virginians
- How railroads, cities, and new industries contributed to the growth of Virginia after Reconstruction
What is included in this Virginia Studies unit?
This Virginia Studies: Reconstruction Unit comes with:
- 14 Worksheets
- 6 Timeline Cards
- 4 Close Reading Passages & Comprehension Questions: All of the passages and questions can also be shared with students digitally and completed using Google Slides.
- 4 Hands-On Activities: Hands-on activities include activities such as a sharecropping simulation game and creating a brochure for Virginia.
- 3 Entry/Exit Tickets
- 2 Writing Activities
- 1 Group Activity
- 1 Quiz
- 1 Final Test
- 1 Timeline of Suggested Activities: Provides a timeline for using the activities included within this unit and provides links to websites featuring videos about concepts being taught.
- Answer keys included throughout
Students will become fully immersed in learning about Virginia during and after Reconstruction as they complete hands-on activities, watch video clips, and research past events!
Are digital activities included?
All of the passages and comprehension questions, most worksheets, the quiz, and the test within this Virginia Studies: Reconstruction Unit are also included in a digital format and can be shared with students using your Google Drive.
When you purchase this product, you will be given access to a link that will allow you to open the file in Google Slides. You’ll then share that file with your students. The slides can be printed and adapted for students who prefer to answer the questions by hand. You can also view and print a student’s completed version of the slides. Video tutorials are also included to help you share interactive Google Slides with your students.
What standards are covered?
This unit is specifically aligned with Virginia Studies SOL VS.8. The unit has been updated to reflect the 2015 changes to the standard.
What are other buyers saying?
- “I love all the units I have bought from you. I’m new to teaching VA Studies and I enjoyed the variation of activities provided. I also like the articles and questions. I use them to allow students to work in pairs. The fact that you have a Google version of the articles worked when we had to finish school online. Thanks!” (Jessica C.)
- “Vestal’s resources are so professionally complete. The material is eye-catching, thorough, and student-appropriate.” (Martha)
- “This product greatly helped me as I am teaching Virginia studies to 4th grade for the first time this year!” (Heather P.)
- “Love your units!” (Alma C.)
- “I definitely should have purchased the bundle. Thank you for your wonderful units!” (Rebecca R.)
- “Thank you for creating such excellent units!” (Angela F.)
- “These units are amazing and I LOVE that you provide lessons, activities, and tests!” (anonymous buyer)
Want to save money?
This Virginia Studies: Reconstruction Unit is included in my Virginia Studies Curriculum Bundle for a discounted price!
More Virginia Studies resources:
- Virginia Studies: Reconstruction Escape Room
- Virginia Studies: Reconstruction Task Cards
- Virginia Studies Escape Room Bundle
- Virginia Studies Task Cards Bundle
©Meghan Vestal, Vestal’s 21st Century Classroom LLC. All rights reserved. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for teachers, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Teachers may NOT upload the product to school/district servers, or to any website, or share digital or print copies. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). All sales are final.