Virginia Studies: Civil War Escape Room
In this Virginia Studies Civil War Escape Room, students are in the process of time traveling back in time to study the issues that divided the country and led to the Civil War when their time machine malfunctions! The only way to repair the time machine and return to the present is for students to successfully complete seven challenges.
To take a closer look at the escape room activities included, check out the preview images!
What will students learn with this classroom escape room?
- Differences between the North and the South
- Famous abolitionists and Civil War leaders
- Events that led to secession that took place in Virginia
- West Virginia
- Major Civil War battles fought in Virginia
- The roles of American Indians, whites, enslaved African Americans, and free African Americans in the Civil War
What escape room activities are included?
When completing the activities, students will use critical thinking and inference skills. Challenges include activities such as:
- Assembling puzzles to identify important abolitionists
- Decoding places on a map of Virginia to learn about important events and Civil War battles
- Unscrambling information about the Union and the Confederacy
- Assembling puzzles to identify important Civil War leaders
- Identifying true and false facts about the Civil War
- Matching people and events to their descriptions to create secret codes
Are students able to complete any escape room activities digitally?
An option is provided for students to submit their final code through Google Forms. When using this option, students can self-check their work. If you do not have access to technology in your classroom, an option is also provided for students to check their work on paper.
What standards are covered?
This Virginia Studies Civil War Escape Room is specifically aligned with Virginia Studies SOL VS.7.
Don’t Miss Out!
Students will love completing the activities in this Civil War Escape Room at the end of their Virginia Studies unit or before state testing! Teacher instructions are provided, making it easy to set up and use in your classroom.
Want to save money?
This Virginia Studies Civil War Escape Room is included in my Virginia Studies Escape Rooms Bundle for a discounted price!
More Virginia Studies Escape Rooms:
- Virginia Regions Escape Room
- Virginia Indians Escape Room
- Jamestown Escape Room
- Colonial Virginia Escape Room
- Virginia in the American Revolution Escape Room
- A New Nation Escape Room
- Reconstruction Escape Room
- Virginia During the 20th Century Escape Room
- Virginia’s Government and Economy Escape Room
©Meghan Vestal, Vestal’s 21st Century Classroom LLC. All rights reserved. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for teachers, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Teachers may NOT upload the product to school/district servers, or to any website, or share digital or print copies. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). All sales are final.