Virginia Studies: American Revolution Unit
Virginia Studies: American Revolution Unit is a hands-on unit that combines history and language arts skills. Everything you need to teach a unit about the role of Virginia in the American Revolution can be found here!
For a closer look at the activities in this unit, see the preview video and images at the top of the page!
What skills are covered in this Virginia Studies unit?
This Virginia Studies: American Revolution Unit includes 6 detailed lesson plans. All lessons are hands-on and incorporate literacy skills. Students will investigate–
- The reasons why the colonists declared independence
- The Declaration of Independence
- The differences between patriots and loyalists
- The roles of different groups of people during the Revolutionary War (American Indians, women, enslaved African Americans, free African Americans)
- Famous Virginians during the American Revolution (George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Patrick Henry, and James Lafayette)
- The role of the Marquis de Lafayette during the Revolutionary War
- The American victory at Yorktown
- The reasons for moving Virginia’s capital from Williamsburg to Richmond
What is included in this Virginia Studies unit?
This Virginia Studies: American Revolution Unit comes with:
- 13 Worksheets
- 7 Timeline Cards
- 6 Close Reading Passages & Comprehension Questions: All of the passages and questions can also be shared with students digitally and completed using Google Slides.
- 5 Sorts/Foldables
- 4 Entry/Exit Tickets
- 4 Group Activities
- 2 Simulation Activities: Two Stamp Act simulation activities are included.
- 1 Game
- 1 Quiz
- 1 Final Test
- 1 Timeline of Suggested Activities: Provides a timeline for using the activities included within this unit and provides links to websites featuring videos about concepts being taught.
- Answer key included throughout
Students will become fully immersed in learning about Virginia in the American Revolution as they complete hands-on activities, watch video clips, and research past events!
Are digital activities included?
All of the passages and comprehension questions, most worksheets, the quiz, and the test within this Virginia Studies: American Revolution Unit are also included in a digital format and can be shared with students using your Google Drive.
When you purchase this product, you will be given access to a link that will allow you to open the file in Google Slides. You’ll then share that file with your students. The slides can be printed and adapted for students who prefer to answer the questions by hand. You can also view and print a student’s completed version of the slides. Video tutorials are also included to help you share interactive Google Slides with your students.
What standards are covered?
This unit is specifically aligned with Virginia Studies SOL VS.5. The unit has been updated to reflect the 2015 changes to the standard.
What are other buyers saying?
- “I love all the units I have bought from you. I’m new to teaching VA Studies and I enjoyed the variation of activities provided. I also like the articles and questions. I use them to allow students to work in pairs.” (Jessica C.)
- “This was the perfect resource for teaching Virginia Studies! Everything is in student-friendly language and well organized.” (Kelli B.)
- “The only thing I needed to teach this unit!” (anonymous buyer)
- “I am so in love with this product! I love being able to give my students the option of writing their answers on paper or digital.” (Cali F.)
- “I absolutely love your units! I bought them one at a time last year, and I only have 1 left to purchase! Should have originally just bought the bundle. My kids love all of the activities!!!!” (Amy M.)
- “Great quality and content!” (Alicia S.)
- “Your social studies units are AMAZING!” (Rebecca R.)
- “Thanks 🙂 Love all your Virginia Studies units!” (Angela F.)
Want to save money?
This Virginia Studies: American Revolution Unit is included in my Virginia Studies Curriculum Bundle for a discounted price!
More Virginia Studies resources:
- Virginia Studies: American Revolution Escape Room
- Virginia Studies: American Revolution Task Cards
- Virginia Studies Escape Room Bundle
- Virginia Studies Task Cards Bundle
©Meghan Vestal, Vestal’s 21st Century Classroom LLC. All rights reserved. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for teachers, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Teachers may NOT upload the product to school/district servers, or to any website, or share digital or print copies. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). All sales are final.