Virginia Studies: A New Nation Unit
Virginia Studies: A New Nation Unit is a hands-on unit that combines history and language arts skills. Everything you need to teach a unit about the role of Virginia in the founding of the United States found here!
For a closer look at the activities in this unit, see the product preview!
What skills are covered in this Virginia Studies unit?
This Virginia Studies: A New Nation Unit includes 4 detailed lesson plans. All lessons are hands-on and incorporate literacy skills. Students will investigate–
- The reasons why George Washington is called the “Father of our Country”
- The reasons why James Madison is called the “Father of the Constitution”
- The main idea of the Virginia Declaration of Rights by George Mason
- The main idea of the Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom by Thomas Jefferson
- How the Virginia Declaration of Rights and the Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom impacted other states
- How geography and technology caused Virginians to migrate south and west
What is included in this Virginia Studies unit?
This Virginia Studies: A New Nation Unit comes with:
- 13 Worksheets
- 7 Timeline Cards
- 4 Close Reading Passages & Comprehension Questions: All of the passages and questions can also be shared with students digitally and completed using Google Slides.
- 4 Entry/Exit Tickets
- 3 Hands-On Activities: Students will create many items to show what they have learned such as a poster, book, and lapbook.
- 2 Group Activities
- 1 Sort
- 1 Lapbook
- 1 Writing Activity: Students write a letter to James Madison explaining what they think should be included in the Constitution.
- 1 Quiz
- 1 Final Test
- 1 Timeline of Suggested Activities: Provides a timeline for using the activities included within this unit and provides links to websites featuring videos about concepts being taught.
- Answer keys included throughout
Students will become fully immersed in learning about Virginia after the Revolutionary War and the founding of the American government as they complete hands-on activities, watch video clips, and research past events!
Are digital activities included?
All of the passages and comprehension questions, most worksheets, the quiz, and the test within this Virginia Studies: A New Nation Unit are also included in a digital format and can be shared with students using your Google Drive.
When you purchase this product, you will be given access to a link that will allow you to open the file in Google Slides. You’ll then share that file with your students. The slides can be printed and adapted for students who prefer to answer the questions by hand. You can also view and print a student’s completed version of the slides. Video tutorials are also included to help you share interactive Google Slides with your students.
What standards are covered?
This unit is specifically aligned with Virginia Studies SOL VS.6. The unit has been updated to reflect the 2015 changes to the standard.
What are other buyers saying?
- “This was the perfect resource for teaching Virginia Studies! Everything is in student-friendly language and well organized.” (Kelli B.)
- “Thanks so much! You save me so much time and your products are excellent.” (Dianne L.)
- “Overall a great product. My kids really enjoyed learning about our New Nation.” (Heather M.)
- “I have purchased almost every unit so far! I should have probably just purchased the bundle from the start! Great comprehensive resource! Love it!” (Amy M.)
- “I love this resource! I am planning on buying the entire pack!” (Traylor P.)
- “Engaging activities!” (Rebecca R.)
Want to save money?
This Virginia Studies: A New Nation Unit is included in my Virginia Studies Curriculum Bundle for a discounted price!
You may also be interested in these Virginia Studies resources:
- Virginia Studies: A New Nation Escape Room
- A New Nation Task Cards
- Virginia Studies Escape Room Bundle
- Virginia Studies Task Cards Bundle
©Meghan Vestal, Vestal’s 21st Century Classroom LLC. All rights reserved. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for teachers, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Teachers may NOT upload the product to school/district servers, or to any website, or share digital or print copies. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). All sales are final.