Simple Machines Unit
This Simple Machines Unit will provide you with lots of fun, hands-on activities to teach students about simple machines! With everything you need in this unit, you will save lots of time planning and your students will love completing the hands-on activities.
To take a closer look at some of the activities included in this unit, click the preview images at the top of the page!
What will students investigate with this Simple Machines Unit?
- Why people use simple machines
- Examples of compound and simple machines
- How to create compound and simple machines to solve problems
- How the size and direction of a force influences the motion of an object
What comes in this Simple Machines Unit?
- 8 Detailed lesson plans
- Entry/exit tickets
- Simple machines book
- Lots of engaging, hands-on activities and experiments
- 2 Sets of Word Wall Cards: One set of word wall cards with pictures and another set with only the term on each card.
- 1 Timeline of Suggested Activities: Provides a timeline for using the activities and experiments included within this set and provides links to websites featuring videos of concepts being taught.
- Answer keys
What key terms are used throughout the unit?
- Simple Machine
- Compound Machine
- Inclined Plane
- Wheel and Axle
Are digital resources included?
Some worksheets, the quiz, and the test within this Simple Machines Unit are also included in a digital format and can be shared with students using your Google Drive.
When you purchase this product, you will be given access to a link that will allow you to open the file in Google Slides. You’ll then share that file with your students. The slides can be printed and adapted for students who prefer to answer the questions by hand. You can also view and print a student’s completed version of the slides.
What standards are covered?
This Simple Machines Unit closely aligns with most science standards related to teaching simple machines. The unit is also aligned with both the 2010 and 2018 Virginia science SOLs. It is aligned with science SOL 3.2 if using the 2010 standards and science SOL 3.2 if using the 2018 standards.
What are other buyers saying about this science unit?
- “My students and I have enjoyed being able to complete the hands-on portions of each lesson. Thank you for your thoroughness.” (Tiana C.)
- “I own all of your 4th-grade units and love them, so now that I moved to 3rd grade and needed something to teach simple machines I came straight to your store. All of your resources are so comprehensive and well thought out. My 4th graders last year LOVED the units and how hands-on they are, and I’m sure my 3rd graders will love this unit. I also really appreciate the digital component that has been added. Thank you so much for all of your hard work! Your products have been lifesavers for me.” (Lindsey F.)
- “This had everything I needed to teach about simple machines! My kids absolutely loved it!!!” (Loretta H.)
- “My kids are LOVING these activities!” (Candie W.)
- “Another great, easy to use, and fully comprehensive unit! Thank you again!” (Arianna T.)
- “A great product!” (Christine H.)
Want to save money?
This Simple Machines Unit is included in my 3rd Grade Science Unit Bundle for a discounted price!
Don’t Miss Out!
This Simple Machines Unit is perfect if you are low on planning time or have no idea where to begin! Students will also have fun learning the information as they complete all of the activities!
More science resources:
- Simple Machines Task Cards
- Simple Machines Escape Room
- Simple Machines Jeopardy Game
- 3rd Grade Science Task Cards Bundle
©Meghan Vestal, Vestal’s 21st Century Classroom LLC. All rights reserved. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for teachers, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Teachers may NOT upload the product to school/district servers, or to any website, or share digital or print copies. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). All sales are final.
There are no reviews yet.