Reference Books Worksheets and Activities
Need help teaching your students about reference tools? These Reference Books Worksheets and Activities include a variety of no-prep PDF and digital activities to help your students review skills related to using a dictionary, glossary, or thesaurus.
What is included in this resource?
This reference books resource includes:
- 15 Worksheets
- 3 Anchor Charts
- 3 Sorts
- 2 Games (reference books bump game, alphabetical order roll and write game)
- 2 Foldables
- 21 Digital worksheets and activities
How will students practice using reference books?
Activity types include:
- Identifying and describing the parts and features of a dictionary, glossary, and thesaurus.
- Comparing and contrasting dictionaries, glossaries, and thesauruses.
- Using a dictionary to find an entry word, part of speech, pronunciation, definition, other word forms, and/or guide words.
- Using a glossary to find an entry word and definition.
- Using a thesaurus to find an entry word, definition, synonyms, and antonyms.
- Sorting words by their part of speech.
- Listing words in alphabetical order.
- Using guide words to determine what will be on a dictionary or thesaurus page.
Are digital resources included?
Some worksheets and the sorts within this resource are also included in a digital format and can be shared with students using your Google Drive.
When you purchase this product, you will be given access to a link that will allow you to open the file in Google Slides. You’ll then share that file with your students. The slides can be printed and adapted for students who prefer to answer the questions by hand. You can also view and print a student’s completed version of the slides.
What standards are covered?
These Reference Books Worksheets and Activities are specifically aligned with the Virginia ELA SOLs: 3.4g, 4.4c, and 5.4e.
Even though this resource is specifically aligned to the Virginia SOLs, it also still aligns with most other reference books standards.
Save time and have fun!
These Reference Books Worksheets and Activities come with 20+ no-prep worksheets, games, foldables, and sorts to help students review how to use a dictionary, thesaurus, and glossary.
Want to save money?
This resource is included in my Word Analysis Worksheets and Activities Bundle.
More ELA Resources:
- Reading Skills Worksheets and Activities for Upper Elementary
- Word Work and Work on Writing Activities
©Meghan Vestal, Vestal’s 21st Century Classroom LLC. All rights reserved. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for teachers, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Teachers may NOT upload the product to school/district servers, or to any website, or share digital or print copies. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). All sales are final.