Reference Books Activities for Google – Digital Mystery Pictures
These Reference Books Activities for Google include 6 digital mystery pictures activities in Google Sheets. These digital reference books activities are a fun, no-prep way to review dictionary, glossary, and thesaurus skills with students.
For a closer look at these digital puzzles, check out the preview video!
How do the digital mystery pictures work?
Each digital mystery picture activity is already coded in a Google Sheet. No additional coding or work is required. Just share the Google Sheet with students and you are ready to go!
Students type the correct responses in the spaces provided. If they answer correctly, the box will turn green and part of the mystery puzzle will appear. If they answer incorrectly, the box will turn red and they can attempt to answer again.
What types of reference books activities are included?
There are six digital mystery picture activities included. Each activity includes nine questions (54 questions total).
The types of questions used include:
- Read descriptions and determine whether a dictionary, glossary, or thesaurus is being described.
- Read different scenarios and determine whether the scenario requires a dictionary, glossary, or thesaurus.
- Determine which words would or would not be listed on the same page as given guide words.
- Determine which set of guide words would be on the same page as a given word.
- Put words from a glossary page in alphabetical order.
What standards are covered?
These Reference Books Activities for Google are specifically aligned with the ELA Virginia SOLs: 3.4g, 4.4c, and 5.4e.
Even though this resource is specifically aligned to the Virginia SOLs, it also still aligns with most other reference books standards.
How can these reference books activities be used?
These no-prep, digital reference books activities can be used in-person or remotely. For classroom use, they make a great center, morning work, or early finisher activity. For remote use, they can be used for a practice or homework activity.
More ELA Resources:
- Reference Books Task Cards
- Reference Books Worksheets and Activities
- Word Analysis Task Cards Bundle
- Word Analysis Worksheets and Activities for Upper Elementary
©Meghan Vestal, Vestal’s 21st Century Classroom LLC. All rights reserved. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for teachers, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Teachers may NOT upload the product to school/district servers, or to any website, or share digital or print copies. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). All sales are final.