Reconstruction Unit is a hands-on unit that combines history and language arts skills! Everything you need to teach a unit on Reconstruction and the years following Reconstruction can be found in this unit!
What Will I Find in This Reconstruction Unit?
This Reconstruction Unit includes 8 detailed lesson plans. All lessons are hands-on and incorporate literacy skills. Students will investigate–
- Reconstruction leaders
- the Reconstruction amendments and major policies
- the effects of Reconstruction on the North, the South, and African Americans
- what caused Reconstruction to end
- southern laws that affected African Americans such as Black Codes and Jim Crow Laws
- the rise of American cities and immigration
- industrialization and captains of industry
- reasons for westward expansion and how it affected American Indians
- 18th and 19th Amendments
This Reconstruction and Life After Unit also comes with:
- 17 Worksheets
- 9 Close Reading Passages & Comprehension Questions: All of the passages and questions can also be shared with students digitally and completed using Google Slides.
- 4 Entry/Exit Tickets
- 4 Group Activities
- 2 Foldables
- 2 Games
- 1 Interactive Classroom Timeline: Timeline features 15 different events for students to sort and identify.
- 1 Quiz
- 1 Final Test
- 1 Timeline of Suggested Activities: Provides a timeline for using the activities included within this unit and provides links to websites featuring videos about concepts being taught.
- Answer keys included throughout
Students will become fully immersed in learning about Reconstruction as they complete hands-on activities, watch video clips, and research past events!
Are Digital Resources Included?
All of the passages and comprehension questions, most worksheets, the quiz, and the test within this Reconstruction Unit are also included in a digital format and can be shared with students using your Google Drive.
When you purchase this product, you will be given access to a link that will allow you to open the file in Google Slides. You’ll then share that file with your students. The slides can be printed and adapted for students who prefer to answer the questions by hand. You can also view and print a student’s completed version of the slides. Video tutorials are also included to help you share interactive Google Slides with your students.
What Standards Are Covered?
While this Reconstruction Unit is specifically aligned with Virginia U.S. History SOLs USII.3 and USII.4, it also closely matches most U.S. History standards related to teaching Reconstruction and the years immediately following Reconstruction.
What Are Other Buyers Saying About This Unit?
- “What a great resource to help us integrate social studies into our reading workshop! This has helped us in Social Studies have deeper and richer conversations, in addition to our other materials. Thank you!”
- “This was an excellent supplement. I used it for station work. I loved that it reinforced what we learned in class while allowing students to work on a variety of reading skills. I will definitely purchase more of these units!” (Sefanie K.)
- “I love these activity bundles! So many options to present the information to my students.” (Shari G.)
- “What a great resource!!!” (Stephanie S.)
- “I absolutely love your work. Thank you so much!!”
Want to Save Money?
This Reconstruction Unit is included in my U.S. History Part 2 Bundle for a discounted price!
©Meghan Vestal, Vestal’s 21st Century Classroom LLC. All rights reserved. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for teachers, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Teachers may NOT upload the product to school/district servers, or to any website, or share digital or print copies. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). All sales are final.