Patterns and Equations Lessons
Are you looking for no-prep lessons and activities to teach object and numerical patterns AND equivalent mathematical relationships? Look no further! These Patterns and Equations Lessons provide everything you need to teach object patterns, numerical patterns, table patterns, equal and unequal signs, and equivalent expressions. Save time planning and your students will love completing the hands-on activities found in this unit.
To take a closer look at some of the things included in this unit, check out the preview images at the top of the page!
What will students learn through these detailed lesson plans?
5 Detailed lesson plans are included to help students learn and practice the following skills–
- Identify and describe repeating and growing patterns using words, objects, pictures, numbers, and tables.
- Identify a missing term in a pattern.
- Create repeating and growing patterns using objects, pictures, numbers, and tables.
- Solve problems that involve the application of input and output rules limited to addition and subtraction of whole numbers.
- When given the rule, determine the missing values in a list or table. Rules are limited to addition and subtraction of whole numbers.
- Identify and use the appropriate symbol to distinguish between expressions that are equal (=) and expressions that are not equal ( ).
- Create equations to represent equivalent mathematical relationships (ex: 4 x 3 = 14 – 2).
What comes in these Patterns and Equations Lessons?
You will find the following included in this math unit–
- 5 Detailed Lesson Plans
- 18 Worksheets
- 16 Task Cards
- 5 Exit Tickets
- 3 Anchor Charts
- 1 Game
- 2 Quizzes
- Final Test
- Word Wall Cards
- Digital Activities for Google Slides
- Answer Keys
Are digital resources included?
Some worksheets, the quizzes, and the test within these Patterns and Equations Lessons are also included in a digital format and can be shared with students using your Google Drive.
When you purchase this product, you will be given access to a link that will allow you to open the file in Google Slides. You’ll then share that file with your students. The slides can be printed and adapted for students who prefer to answer the questions by hand. You can also view and print a student’s completed version of the slides.
What standards are covered?
These Patterns and Equations Lessons are specifically created to align with Virginia math SOL 3.16 and 3.17 although the lessons and activities closely align with most math standards related to patterns and equations.
Don’t Miss Out!
These Patterns and Equations Lessons require minimal prep work and are easy to implement whether teaching in-person or virtually. Students will also enjoy learning about patterns and equations as they play games, complete hands-on activities, and relate patterns and equality to real-world examples.
MORE MATH RESOURCES:
- Patterns and Equations Task Cards
- 3rd Grade Math Task Cards Bundle
- 3rd Grade Math Parent Study Guides
- 3rd Grade Math Interactive Notes
Looking for math lessons for the entire school year? This unit is included in my 3rd Grade Math Lessons Bundle, which features 14 detailed math units at a discounted price.
©Meghan Vestal, Vestal’s 21st Century Classroom LLC. All rights reserved. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for teachers, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Teachers may NOT upload the product to school/district servers, or to any website, or share digital or print copies. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). All sales are final.