Patterns and Equality Lessons
Are you looking for no-prep lessons and activities to teach patterns AND equivalent mathematical relationships? Look no further! These Patterns and Equality Lessons provide everything you need to teach object patterns, numerical patterns, input/output tables, equal and unequal signs, and equivalent expressions. Save time planning and your students will love completing the hands-on activities found in this unit.
To take a closer look at some of the things included in this unit, check out the preview images at the top of the page!
What will students learn through these detailed lesson plans?
5 Detailed lesson plans are included to help students learn and practice the following skills–
- Identify and describe patterns, using words, objects, pictures, numbers, and tables.
- Create patterns using objects, pictures, numbers, and tables.
- Extend patterns using objects, pictures, numbers, and tables.
- Solve practical problems that involve identifying, describing, and extending single-operation input and output rules, limited to addition, subtraction, and multiplication of whole numbers and addition and subtraction of fractions with like denominators of 12 or less.
- Identify the rule in a single-operation numerical pattern found in a list or table, limited to addition, subtraction, and multiplication of whole numbers.
- Write an equation to represent the relationship between equivalent mathematical expressions (ex: 4 x 3 = 2 x 6).
- Identify and use the appropriate symbol to distinguish between expressions that are equal and expressions that are not equal, using addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
What comes in these Patterns and Equality Lessons?
You will find the following included in this math unit–
- 5 Detailed Lesson Plans
- 18 Worksheets
- 16 Task Cards
- 5 Exit Tickets
- 3 Anchor Charts
- 3 Sorts/Foldables
- 1 Game
- 2 Quizzes
- Final Test
- Word Wall Cards
- Digital Activities for Google Slides
- Answer Keys
Are digital resources included?
Some worksheets, the quizzes, and the test within these Patterns and Equality Lessons are also included in a digital format and can be shared with students using your Google Drive.
When you purchase this product, you will be given access to a link that will allow you to open the file in Google Slides. You’ll then share that file with your students. The slides can be printed and adapted for students who prefer to answer the questions by hand. You can also view and print a student’s completed version of the slides.
What standards are covered?
These Patterns and Equality Lessons are specifically created to align with Virginia math SOLs 4.15 and 4.16 although the lessons and activities closely align with most math standards related to patterns and equivalent mathematical relationships.
Want to save money?
This math unit is included in my 4th Grade Math Lesson Plans Bundle for a discounted price!
Don’t Miss Out!
These Patterns and Equality Lessons require minimal prep work and are easy to implement whether teaching in-person or virtually. Students will also enjoy learning about patterns and equations as they play games, complete hands-on activities, and relate the concepts to real-world examples.
More Math Resources:
- Patterns and Equality Task Cards
- Patterns Activities for Google Slides
- 4th Grade Math Task Cards Bundle
- 4th Grade Math Interactive Notes Bundle
- 4th Grade Math Parent Study Guides
©Meghan Vestal, Vestal’s 21st Century Classroom LLC. All rights reserved. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for teachers, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Teachers may NOT upload the product to school/district servers, or to any website, or share digital or print copies. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). All sales are final.