Patterns and Algebra Lessons
Are you looking for no-prep lessons and activities to teach patterns AND variables? Look no further! These Patterns and Algebra Lessons provide everything you need to teach object patterns, numerical patterns, input/output tables, and variables. Save time planning and your students will love completing the hands-on activities found in this unit.
To take a closer look at some of the things included in this unit, check out the preview images at the top of the page!
What will students learn through these detailed lesson plans?
5 Detailed lesson plans are included to help students learn and practice the following skills–
- Identify, create, describe, and extend patterns using concrete materials, tables, or pictures.
- Describe and express the relationship found in patterns, using words, tables, and symbols.
- Solve practical problems that involve identifying, describing, and extending single-operation input and output rules. Tables are limited to addition, subtraction and multiplication of whole numbers; addition and subtraction of fractions, with denominators of 12 or less; and addition and subtraction of decimals expressed in tenths or hundredths.
- Identify the rule in a single-operation numerical pattern found in a list or table. Patterns and rules are limited to addition, subtraction and multiplication of whole numbers; addition and subtraction of fractions, with denominators of 12 or less; and addition and subtraction of decimals expressed in tenths or hundredths.
- Describe the concept of a variable as a representation of an unknown quantity.
- Write an equation with addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division, using a variable to represent an unknown quantity.
- Solve for the variable in a variable equation.
- Use an expression with a variable to represent a given verbal expression involving one operation (ex: “5 more than a number” can be represented by y + 5).
- Create and write a word problem to match a given equation with a single variable and one operation.
What comes in these Patterns and Algebra Lessons?
You will find the following included in this math unit–
- 5 Detailed Lesson Plans
- 20 Task Cards
- 18 Worksheets
- 5 Exit Tickets
- 4 Games
- 3 Anchor Charts
- 2 Sorts/Foldables
- 2 Quizzes
- Final Test
- Word Wall Cards
- Digital Activities for Google Slides
- Answer Keys
Are digital resources included?
Some worksheets, the sort, the quizzes, and the test within these Patterns and Algebra Lessons are also included in a digital format and can be shared with students using your Google Drive.
When you purchase this product, you will be given access to a link that will allow you to open the file in Google Slides. You’ll then share that file with your students. You can also view and print a student’s completed version of the slides.
What standards are covered?
These Patterns and Algebra Lessons are specifically created to align with Virginia math SOLs 5.18 and 5.19 although the lessons and activities closely align with most math standards related to patterns, input/output tables, and variables.
Don’t Miss Out!
These Patterns and Algebra Lessons require minimal prep work and are easy to implement whether teaching in-person or virtually. Students will also enjoy learning about patterns and variables as they play games, complete hands-on activities, and relate patterns and variable equations to real-world examples.
More Math Resources:
- Patterns and Algebra Task Cards
- Patterns Activities for Google Slides
- 5th Grade Math Task Cards Bundle
- 5th Grade Math Activities for Google Slides
- 5th Grade Math Parent Study Guides
- 5th Grade Math Interactive Notes
Looking for math lessons for the entire school year? This unit is included in my 5th Grade Math Lessons Bundle, which features 14 detailed math units at a discounted price.
©Meghan Vestal, Vestal’s 21st Century Classroom LLC. All rights reserved. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for teachers, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Teachers may NOT upload the product to school/district servers, or to any website, or share digital or print copies. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). All sales are final.