Native Americans Unit
Native Americans Unit is a hands-on unit that combines history and language arts skills! Everything you need for teaching American Indians can be found here!
What Will I Find in This Unit?
This Native Americans Unit includes 7 detailed lesson plans. All lessons are hands-on and incorporate literacy skills. Students will investigate–
- How archeologists use artifacts to learn about Native Americans
- The Subarctic region including the Inuit
- The Pacific Northwest region including the Kwakiutl
- The Plains region including the Lakota
- The Southwest region including the Pueblo
- The Eastern Woodland region including the Iroquois
Students will compare and contrast the lifestyles of the Americans Indians in each region based on geography, climate, and resources available.
This Native Americans Unit also comes with:
- 13 Worksheets
- 5 Close Reading Passages & Comprehension Questions: All of the passages and questions can also be shared with students digitally and completed using Google Slides.
- 5 Art Projects
- 3 Centers
- 1 Sort
- 1 Quiz
- 1 Test
- 1 Interactive Classroom Timeline
- 1 Timeline of Suggested Activities: Provides a timeline for using the activities included within this unit and provides links to websites featuring videos about concepts being taught.
- Answer keys included throughout
Students will become fully immersed in learning about Native Americans as they create maps and art, complete hands-on activities, and research past events!
Are Digital Resources Included?
All of the passages and comprehension questions within this Native Americans Unit are also included in a digital format and can be shared with students using your Google Drive.
When you purchase this product, you will be given access to a link that will allow you to open the file in Google Slides. You’ll then share that file with your students. The slides can be printed and adapted for students who prefer to answer the questions by hand. You can also view and print a student’s completed version of the slides.
What Standards Are Covered?
While this Native Americans Unit is specifically aligned with Virginia U.S. History SOL USI.3, it also closely matches most U.S. History standards related to teaching Native Americans.
What are other buyers saying about this resource?
- “This was beyond helpful!” (Alyssa R.)
- “My students absolutely loved the reading passages! It helped them so much!”
Related resources you may be interested in:
©Meghan Vestal, Vestal’s 21st Century Classroom. All rights reserved. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for teachers, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Teachers may NOT upload the product to school/district servers, or to any website, or share digital or print copies. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). All sales are final.