Late 19th Century to World War I Unit
The Late 19th Century to World War I Unit is a hands-on unit that combines history and language arts skills! Everything you need to teach a unit on the Spanish American War, Big Stick Diplomacy, and U.S. involvement in WWI can be found in this unit!
What Will I Find in This Late 19th Century to World War I Unit?
This Late 19th Century to WWI Unit includes 6 detailed lesson plans. All lessons are hands-on and incorporate literacy skills. Students will investigate–
- the reasons for and the outcomes of the Spanish American War
- the meaning and examples of Big Stick Diplomacy
- Theodore Roosevelt’s impact on American foreign policy
- the reasons why the United States became involved in WWI
- the Allied Powers and the Central Powers
- U.S. leadership at the conclusion of WWI
- the reason why the United States did not become a member of the League of Nations
This Late 19th Century to WWI Unit also comes with:
- 18 Worksheets
- 6 Close Reading Passages & Comprehension Questions: All of the passages and questions can also be shared with students digitally and completed using Google Slides.
- 5 Entry/Exit Tickets
- 3 Group Activities
- 3 Research Activities
- 1 Sort
- 1 Interactive Classroom Timeline
- 1 Quiz
- 1 Final Test
- 1 Timeline of Suggested Activities: Provides a timeline for using the activities included within this unit and provides links to websites featuring videos about concepts being taught.
- Answer keys included throughout
Students will become fully immersed in learning about the Spanish American War, Big Stick Diplomacy, and WWI as they complete hands-on activities, watch video clips, and research past events!
Are Digital Resources Included?
All of the passages and comprehension questions, most worksheets, the quiz, and the test within this Late 19th Century to WWI Unit are also included in a digital format and can be shared with students using your Google Drive.
When you purchase this product, you will be given access to a link that will allow you to open the file in Google Slides. You’ll then share that file with your students. The slides can be printed and adapted for students who prefer to answer the questions by hand. You can also view and print a student’s completed version of the slides. Video tutorials are also provided to help you share interactive Google Slides with your students.
What Standards Are Covered?
While this Late 19th Century to WWI Unit is specifically aligned with Virginia U.S. History SOL USII.5, it also closely matches most U.S. History standards.
What Are Other Buyers Saying?
- “I love the variety of activities. Some are great as “preview” activities while others were beneficial to the students to use in the Interactive Student Notebooks.” (Shari G.)
- “Incredible resource!!” (Stephanie S.)
- “Great resource for my students. Some have never learned anything about pre-WWI.” (Agnes O.)
- “Wonderful resource!” (David L.)
Want to Save Money?
This unit is included in my U.S. History Part 2 Bundle for a discounted price!
©Meghan Vestal, Vestal’s 21st Century Classroom LLC. All rights reserved. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for teachers, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Teachers may NOT upload the product to school/district servers, or to any website, or share digital or print copies. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). All sales are final.