Graphing Lessons: Pictographs and Bar Graphs
Are you looking for no-prep lessons and activities to teach pictographs and bar graphs? Look no further! These Graphing Lessons: Pictographs and Bar Graphs provide everything you need to teach collecting data, creating and interpreting pictographs, and creating and interpreting bar graphs. Save time planning and your students will love completing the hands-on activities found in this unit.
To take a closer look at some of the things included in this unit, check out the preview!
What will students learn through these detailed lesson plans?
5 Detailed lesson plans are included to help students learn and practice the following skills–
- Formulate questions to investigate and design data investigations to answer formulated questions, limiting the number of categories for data collection to four.
- Collect and organize data, using various forms of data collections (e.g., surveys, polls, questionnaires, observations).
- Represent data in a pictograph (limited to 16 or fewer data points for no more than four categories).
- Represent data in a bar graph (limited to 16 or fewer data points for no more than four categories). Limit increments on the numerical axis to whole numbers representing multiples of 1, 2, 5, or 10.
- Interpret information from pictographs and bar graphs, with up to 30 data points and up to eight categories, describe interpretation orally and by writing at least one sentence.
What comes in these Graphing Lessons: Pictographs and Bar Graphs?
You will find the following included in this math unit–
- 5 Detailed Lesson Plans
- 30 Worksheets
- 16 Task Cards
- 5 Exit Tickets
- 2 Anchor Charts
- 1 Foldable
- 1 Game
- 2 Quizzes
- Final Test
- Word Wall Cards
- Digital Activities for Google Slides
- Answer Keys
Are digital resources included?
Some worksheets, the quizzes, and the test within these Graphing Lessons: Pictographs and Bar Graphs are also included in a digital format and can be shared with students using your Google Drive.
When you purchase this product, you will be given access to a link that will allow you to open the file in Google Slides. You’ll then share that file with your students. The slides can be printed and adapted for students who prefer to answer the questions by hand. You can also view and print a student’s completed version of the slides.
What standards are covered?
These Graphing Lessons are specifically created to align with Virginia math SOL 3.15 although the lessons and activities closely align with most math standards related to creating and interpreting pictographs and bar graphs.
Don’t miss out!
These Graphing Lessons: Pictographs and Bar Graphs require minimal prep work and are easy to implement whether teaching in-person or virtually. Students will also enjoy learning about pictographs and bar graphs as they play games, complete hands-on activities, and relate data and graphing to real-world examples.
More math resources:
- Pictographs and Bar Graphs Task Cards
- 3rd Grade Math Task Cards Bundle
- 3rd Grade Math Parent Study Guides
- 3rd Grade Math Interactive Notes
Looking for math lessons for the entire school year? This unit is included in my 3rd Grade Math Lessons Bundle, which features 14 detailed math units at a discounted price.
©Meghan Vestal, Vestal’s 21st Century Classroom LLC. All rights reserved. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for teachers, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Teachers may NOT upload the product to school/district servers, or to any website, or share digital or print copies. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). All sales are final.