Dividing Decimals Lessons
Are you looking for no-prep lessons and activities to teach divide decimals with up to 4-digit quotients? Look no further! These Dividing Decimals Lessons provide everything you need to teach different strategies for solving, modeling, and estimating division problems with decimals. Save time planning and your students will love completing the hands-on activities found in this unit.
To take a closer look at some of the things included in this unit, check out the preview images at the top of the page!
What will students learn through these detailed lesson plans?
6 Detailed lesson plans are included to help students learn and practice the following skills–
- Determine the quotient of two numbers. Quotients do not exceed 4 digits with or without a decimal point. Divisors are limited to a single-digit whole number OR a decimal expressed as tenths. No more than one additional zero is ever annexed to solve a problem.
- Estimate the quotient of two numbers involving decimals.
- Use multiple representations to model division of decimals and whole numbers.
- Create and solve single-step practical problems involving division of decimals.
What strategies are used to teach dividing decimals?
The following division strategies are taught in these lesson plans:
- Divide a decimal by a whole number
- Divide a whole number by a decimal
- Divide with two decimals
- Standard algorithm
- Decimal grids
- Repeated subtraction
- Partial quotients
- Place value models
- Box method
Each lesson includes worksheets that require students to use the specific strategy taught AND worksheets and games that can be used with any strategy. The quiz and the test allow students to choose any strategy to solve.
What comes in these Dividing Decimals Lessons?
You will find the following included in this math unit–
- 6 Detailed Lesson Plans
- 20 Worksheets
- 8 Task Cards
- 6 Exit Tickets
- 6 Anchor Charts
- 4 Games
- Final Test
- Word Wall Cards
- Digital Activities for Google Slides
- Answer Keys
Are digital resources included?
Some worksheets, the quiz, and the test within these Dividing Decimals Lessons are also included in a digital format and can be shared with students using your Google Drive.
When you purchase this product, you will be given access to a link that will allow you to open the file in Google Slides. You’ll then share that file with your students. The slides can be printed and adapted for students who prefer to answer the questions by hand. You can also view and print a student’s completed version of the slides.
What standards are covered?
These Dividing Decimals Lessons are specifically created to align with Virginia math SOL 5.5 although the lessons and activities closely align with most math standards related to dividing decimals and estimating quotients with decimals.
Don’t Miss Out!
These Dividing Decimals Lessons require minimal prep work and are easy to implement whether teaching in-person or virtually. Students will also enjoy learning about division with decimals as they play games, complete hands-on activities, and relate dividing decimals to real-world examples.
More Math Resources:
- Decimals Word Problems Task Cards
- Multiply and Divide Decimals Activities for Google Slides
- 5th Grade Math Task Cards Bundle
- 5th Grade Math Activities for Google Slides
- 5th Grade Math Parent Study Guides
- 5th Grade Math Interactive Notes
©Meghan Vestal, Vestal’s 21st Century Classroom LLC. All rights reserved. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for teachers, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Teachers may NOT upload the product to school/district servers, or to any website, or share digital or print copies. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). All sales are final.