Colonial Virginia Unit
Colonial Virginia Unit is a hands-on unit that combines history and language arts skills. Everything you need to teach a unit about colonial Virginia can be found here!
For a closer look at the activities in this unit, see the product preview!
What skills are covered in this Virginia Studies unit?
This Colonial Virginia Unit includes 5 detailed lesson plans. All lessons are hands-on and incorporate literacy skills. Students will investigate–
- The importance of agriculture in the Virginia colony
- How agriculture in Virginia led to slavery
- How the culture of colonial Virginia reflected American Indians, European immigrants, and Africans
- The reasons for moving the capital from Jamestown to Williamsburg
- Economics in colonial Virginia (currency, barter, credit, debt, and savings)
- Daily life in colonial Virginia (food, shelter, and clothing)
What is included in this Virginia Studies unit?
This Colonial Virginia Unit comes with:
- 9 Worksheets
- 6 Sorts/Foldables
- 5 Close Reading Passages & Comprehension Questions: All of the passages and questions can also be shared with students digitally and completed using Google Slides.
- 4 Hands-On Activities: Students will create many items to show what they have learned such as sorts, foldables, manipulatives, and an edible map.
- 4 Entry/Exit Tickets
- 3 Timeline Cards
- 2 Group Activities
- 1 Writing Activity: Students write a letter to the General Assembly, convincing them to move the capital to Williamsburg.
- 1 Quiz
- 1 Final Test
- 1 Timeline of Suggested Activities: Provides a timeline for using the activities included within this unit and provides links to websites featuring videos about concepts being taught.
- Answer keys included throughout
Students will become fully immersed in learning about colonial Virginia as they complete hands-on activities, watch video clips, and research past events!
Are digital activities included?
All of the passages and comprehension questions, most worksheets, the quiz, and the test within this Colonial Virginia Unit are also included in a digital format and can be shared with students using your Google Drive.
When you purchase this product, you will be given access to a link that will allow you to open the file in Google Slides. You’ll then share that file with your students. The slides can be printed and adapted for students who prefer to answer the questions by hand. You can also view and print a student’s completed version of the slides. Video tutorials are also included to help you share interactive Google Slides with your students.
What standards are covered?
This unit is specifically aligned with Virginia Studies SOL VS.4. The unit has been updated to reflect the 2015 changes to the standard.
What are other buyers saying?
- “As a teacher new to teaching VA studies, this has really made my planning so much easier!! It is so straight forward and the students are able to learn exactly what they need! I hope to get the full bundle.” (Cali F.)
- “I LOVE the activities in this unit. They are engaging for the students! I will definitely be buying more Social Studies units!” (Rebecca R.)
- “Everything I needed to teach the unit!” (anonymous buyer)
- “This is a great resource. I really love the close reading passages with questions.” (Cassi W.)
- “Great resource, love this!” (Jessica L.)
- “I love this and plan to buy the bundle. Using this and your science units makes it easy to do both in 4th despite the focus on that VA Studies SOL. Thank you!” (Alicia L.)
- “Fabulous resource!” (Alma C.)
Want to save money?
This Colonial Virginia Unit is included in my Virginia Studies Curriculum Bundle for a discounted price!
More Virginia Studies resources:
- Colonial Virginia Escape Room
- Colonial Virginia Task Cards
- Virginia Studies Escape Room Bundle
- Virginia Studies Task Cards Bundle
©Meghan Vestal, Vestal’s 21st Century Classroom LLC. All rights reserved. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for teachers, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Teachers may NOT upload the product to school/district servers, or to any website, or share digital or print copies. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). All sales are final.