Colonial America Unit
Colonial America Unit is a hands-on unit that combines history and language arts skills! Everything you need to teach a unit about colonization and life in colonial America can be found in this 110+ page unit!
What Will I Find in This Unit?
This Colonial America Unit includes 7 detailed lesson plans. All lessons are hands-on and incorporate literacy skills. Students will investigate–
- The lost colony of Roanoke
- Massachusetts Bay
- The founding of each of the 13 colonies
- Colonial regions (New England, Mid-Atlantic or Middle, and Southern)
- Colonial jobs
- Colonial people groups
- Daily life in the 13 colonies
This Colonial America Unit also comes with:
- 13 Colonial Jobs Posters
- 11 Worksheets
- 6 Close Reading Passages & Comprehension Questions: All of the passages and questions can also be shared with students digitally and completed using Google Slides.
- 3 Project-Based Learning Activities
- 1 Quiz
- 1 Test
- 1 Interactive Classroom Timeline
- The 13 Colonies SCOOT Game
- Colonial Jobs Matching Game
- Center Activities
- Entry/Exit Tickets
- 1 Timeline of Suggested Activities: Provides a timeline for using the activities included within this unit and provides links to websites featuring videos about concepts being taught.
- Answer keys included throughout
Students will become fully immersed in colonization and colonial life as they play games, complete hands-on projects, and research past events!
Are Digital Resources Included?
All of the passages and comprehension questions within this Colonial America Unit are also included in a digital format and can be shared with students using your Google Drive.
When you purchase this product, you will be given access to a link that will allow you to open the file in Google Slides. You’ll then share that file with your students. The slides can be printed and adapted for students who prefer to answer the questions by hand. You can also view and print a student’s completed version of the slides.
What Standards Are Covered?
While this Colonial America Unit is specifically aligned with Virginia U.S. History SOL USI.5, it also closely matches most U.S. History standards related to the early explorers.
What Other Buyers Are Saying:
- “So many wonderful resources in this unit. Everything was well thought out and useful. […] Thank you for the great product. My students were engaged and it definitely helped make them learn and understand the material better.” (Nicole C.)
- “I love all of your units that I have purchased! My textbook is terrible and not 5th grade friendly, but these units are engaging and allow better opportunity for my students to learn the content. My class likes the different activities provided, and I love that everything you need is ready to go.” (Vanessa K.)
- “So many different activities and ways to teach! Thank you so much!” (Devyn I.)
- “Love this unit! It hits on multiple skills including reading and writing. Excellent!” (Kathy B.)
You may also be interested in:
©Meghan Vestal, Vestal’s 21st Century Classroom. All rights reserved. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for teachers, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Teachers may NOT upload the product to school/district servers, or to any website, or share digital or print copies. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). All sales are final.