Civil Rights Movement Unit
Civil Rights Movement and Beyond Unit is a hands-on unit that combines history and language arts skills! Everything you need to teach a unit about the Civil Rights Movement, other civil rights movements of the twentieth century, and modern political policies can be found here!
What Will I Find in This Unit?
This Civil Rights Movement Unit includes 6 detailed lesson plans. All lessons are hands-on and incorporate literacy skills. Students will investigate–
- Important leaders and groups of the Civil Rights Movement (Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks, Freedom Riders, NAACP)
- Important events of the Civil Rights Movement (freedom rides, Montgomery Bus Boycott, March on Washington, “I Have a Dream” speech)
- Important civil rights legislation and Supreme Court decisions (Brown v. Board of Education, Civil Rights Act, Voting Rights Act)
- Organizations, policies, and events related to other civil rights movements of the twentieth century (Women’s Rights Movement, Disability Rights Movement)
- The Information Age
- Growing American industries
- How representative citizens have influenced America scientifically, culturally, academically, and economically
- Modern political policies and important issues
This Civil Rights Movement Unit also comes with:
- 15 Worksheets
- 15 Timeline Cards
- 12 Task Cards: Task cards have students analyze Martin Luther King’s “I Have a Dream” speech.
- 7 Close Reading Passages & Comprehension Questions: All of the passages and questions can also be shared with students digitally and completed using Google Slides.
- 6 Entry/Exit Tickets
- 3 Research-Based Activities: Students research an important American industry and news headlines related to different types of policies.
- 2 Games: Two matching games are included. One is about the Civil Rights Movement. The other is about the Women’s Rights Movement and Disability Rights Movement.
- 1 Lapbook
- 1 Escape Room Challenge: Students complete an escape room challenge to learn about the Civil Rights Movement.
- 1 Quiz
- 1 Final Test
- 1 Timeline of Suggested Activities: Provides a timeline for using the activities included within this unit and provides links to websites featuring videos about concepts being taught.
- Answer keys included throughout
Are Digital Resources Included?
All of the passages and comprehension questions within this Civil Rights Movement Unit are also included in a digital format and can be shared with students using your Google Drive.
When you purchase this product, you will be given access to a link that will allow you to open the file in Google Slides. You’ll then share that file with your students. The slides can be printed and adapted for students who prefer to answer the questions by hand. You can also view and print a student’s completed version of the slides.
What Standards Are Covered?
While this Civil Rights Movement Unit is specifically aligned with Virginia U.S. History SOL USII.9, it also closely matches most U.S. History standards related to teaching American civil rights movements.
Want to Save Money?
This Civil Rights Movement Unit is included in my U.S. History Part 2 Bundle for a discounted price!
The Following Resource is Included In This Unit:
©Meghan Vestal, Vestal’s 21st Century Classroom LLC. All rights reserved. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for teachers, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Teachers may NOT upload the product to school/district servers, or to any website, or share digital or print copies. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). All sales are final.