Animal Adaptations Unit
This Animal Adaptations Unit will provide you with lots of fun, hands-on activities for teaching physical and behavioral animal adaptations! With everything you need in this unit, you will save lots of time planning and your students will love completing the hands-on activities.
To take a closer look at some of the activities included in this unit, click the preview images at the top of the page.
What will students investigate with these detailed lesson plans?
- Why animals have to adapt
- The difference between physical and behavioral adaptations
- Examples of physical (camouflage, mimicry, etc.) and behavioral adaptations (hibernation, migration, dormancy, etc.)
- How animals adapt over time due to changes in their environment
- How fossils help scientists to make inferences about once-living animals
This Animal Adaptations Unit also comes with one bonus lesson about the differences between instinct and learned behavior. The information from this bonus lesson is not included on the assessment found in this unit, but this lesson provides some additional hands-on activities that can be used to reinforce the concepts listed above.
What comes in this Animal Adaptations Unit?
- 7 Detailed lesson plans (and one bonus lesson plan)
- Entry/exit tickets
- Research-based activity
- Lots of engaging, hands-on activities and experiments
- 2 Sets of Word Wall Cards: One set of word wall cards with pictures and another set with only the term on each card.
- 1 Timeline of Suggested Activities: Provides a timeline for using the activities and experiments included within this set and provides links to websites featuring videos of concepts being taught.
- Answer keys
What key terms are used throughout the unit?
- Physical Adaptation
- Behavioral Adaptation
Are digital resources included?
Some worksheets, the quiz, and the test within this Animal Adaptations Unit are also included in a digital format and can be shared with students using your Google Drive.
When you purchase this product, you will be given access to a link that will allow you to open the file in Google Slides. You’ll then share that file with your students. The slides can be printed and adapted for students who prefer to answer the questions by hand. You can also view and print a student’s completed version of the slides.
What standards are covered?
This Animal Adaptations Unit closely aligns with most science standards related to teaching physical and behavioral adaptations. The unit is also aligned with both the 2010 and 2018 Virginia science SOLs. It is aligned with science SOL 3.4 if using the 2010 standards and science SOL 3.4 if using the 2018 standards.
What are other buyers saying about this science unit?
- “It is so hard to find resources that are completely aligned to Virginia’s standards. These are amazing, engaging activities for Virginia teachers!” (Carole B.)
- “This is the second science unit I have purchased. The students love them because they are so hands-on and engaging. I love that the plans and assessments are all ready to go!” (Amanda B.)
- “Your science units are always my favorite! Thanks for another high quality, complete unit aligned with the SOLs! I can’t wait to use this with my students.” (Arianna T.)
- “Great resource and fun activities.” (Jessica W.)
- “Thank you for another great resource!” (anonymous buyer)
- “This is wonderful! Thank you!!!” (Kimberly M.)
Want to save money?
This Animal Adaptations Unit is included in my 3rd Grade Science Unit Bundle for a discounted price!
Don’t Miss Out!
This Animal Adaptations Unit is perfect if you are low on planning time or have no idea where to begin! Students will also have fun learning the information as they complete all of the activities!
More science resources:
- Animal Adaptations Escape Room
- Animal Adaptations Task Cards
- Animal Adaptations Jeopardy Game
- 3rd Grade Science Task Cards Bundle
©Meghan Vestal, Vestal’s 21st Century Classroom LLC. All rights reserved. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for teachers, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Teachers may NOT upload the product to school/district servers, or to any website, or share digital or print copies. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). All sales are final.