Ancient Mali Escape Room
In this Ancient Mali Escape Room students are in the process of time traveling back in time to study ancient Mali when their time machine malfunctions! The only way for students to repair the time machine and return to the present is for students to successfully complete six challenges. Whether teaching in-person or virtually, this classroom escape room is easy to set up and students will have lots of fun reviewing what they have learned!
To take a closer look at the escape room activities included, check out the preview!
What will students learn with this classroom escape room?
Challenges can be used to introduce students to or to help students review the geography, economy, and culture of ancient Mali. With these escape room activities, students will learn:
- The geography of Africa and Mali
- Malian storytellers or griots
- Kings of ancient Mali
- Ancient Mali’s trade routes
- How the ancient Malians secured the goods and resources they needed
- Ancient Mali economics (including goods, services, natural resources, human resources, and capital resources)
What escape room activities are included?
Challenges require students to use critical thinking and inference skills. Challenges include activities such as:
- analyzing a map and decoding clues to learn about the geography of West Africa
- solving math problems to reveal true facts about ancient Mali
- decoding messages to learn information about ancient Mali
- completing sentences to reveal information
- matching terms related to ancient Mali to a correct description
- sorting natural, human, and capital resources that were available in ancient Mali
Is a digital version included?
This resource includes two versions of the escape room. The first version is a PDF escape room that can be completed in a classroom.
The second version is a digital escape room that can be completed in Google Forms. The digital escape room is self-checking so that students can review the answers to their work even when learning remotely.
What standards are covered?
This escape room activity is aligned with the Ancient World Cultures SOLs 3.4, 3.5, 3.6a, 3.7, and 3.8.
While the escape room is specifically aligned to the Virginia SOLs, it also closely matches most ancient history standards related to ancient Rome.
This classroom escape room is included in my Ancient World Cultures Escape Rooms Bundle for a discounted price and in the 3rd Grade Social Studies Escape Rooms Bundle for a discounted price.
Don’t miss out!
Students will have fun learning more about ancient Mali as they solve the challenges and work to return to the present in this escape room activity! Teacher instructions are provided that explain how to set up and implement the activity in your classroom with minimal prep work.
You may also be interested in:
- Ancient Mali Task Cards
- Ancient Mali Unit
- Ancient World Cultures Curriculum Bundle
- Ancient World Cultures Task Cards
- Ancient World Cultures Escape Rooms
If you would like more information about using classroom escape rooms, check out my blog post “Create the Perfect Classroom Escape Room.”
©Meghan Vestal, Vestal’s 21st Century Classroom LLC. All rights reserved. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for teachers, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Teachers may NOT upload the product to school/district servers, or to any website, or share digital or print copies. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). All sales are final.
There are no reviews yet.