Add, Subtract, Multiply Fractions Lesson Plans
Are you looking for no-prep lessons and activities to teach adding, subtracting, and multiplying fractions? Look no further! These Add, Subtract, Multiply Fractions Lesson Plans provide everything you need to teach computation of fractions with unlike denominators! Save time planning and your students will love completing the hands-on activities found in this unit.
To take a closer look at some of the things included in this unit, check out the preview!
What will students learn through these detailed lesson plans?
10 Detailed lesson plans are included to help students learn and practice the following skills–
- Find the least common multiple (LCM) and use the LCM to create fractions with common denominators.
- Find the greatest common factor (GCF) and use the GCF to simplify fractions.
- Convert improper fractions to mixed numbers and mixed numbers to improper fractions.
- Solve single-step and multi-step problems involving addition and subtraction with fractions (proper, improper, and mixed numbers) having unlike denominators.
- Solve subtraction with mixed numbers problems that use borrowing.
- Solve single-step problems involving multiplication of a whole number (12 or less) and a proper fraction with and without models.
- Apply the inverse property of multiplication in models.
**When adding and subtracting fractions, denominators of 12 or less are used.
**When multiplying a whole number and a fraction, the denominator will be a factor of the whole number.
What comes in these Add, Subtract, Multiply Fractions Lesson Plans?
You will find the following included in this math unit–
- 10 Detailed Lesson Plans
- 40 Task Cards
- 35 Worksheets
- 10 Games
- 10 Exit Tickets
- 6 Posters
- 4 Anchor Charts
- 1 Sort
- 2 Quizzes
- Final Test
- Word Wall Cards
- Digital Activities for Google Slides
- Answer Keys
Are digital resources included?
Some worksheets, the sort, the quizzes, and the test within these Add, Subtract, Multiply Fractions Lesson Plans are also included in a digital format and can be shared with students using your Google Drive.
When you purchase this product, you will be given access to a link that will allow you to open the file in Google Slides. You’ll then share that file with your students. The slides can be printed and adapted for students who prefer to answer the questions by hand. You can also view and print a student’s completed version of the slides.
What standards are covered?
These Add, Subtract, Multiply Fractions Lesson Plans are specifically created to align with Virginia math SOL 5.6 although the lessons and activities closely align with most math standards related to adding, subtracting, and multiplying fractions.
Don’t Miss Out!
These Add, Subtract, Multiply Fractions Lesson Plans require minimal prep work and are easy to implement whether teaching in-person or virtually. Students will also enjoy learning about computation with fractions as they play games, complete hands-on activities, and relate lines and shapes to real-world examples.
More Math Resources:
- Adding, Subtracting, and Multiplying Fractions Task Cards
- Add, Subtract, Multiply Fractions Activities for Google Slides
- 5th Grade Math Task Cards Bundle
- 5th Grade Math Activities for Google Slides
- 5th Grade Math Parent Study Guides
- 5th Grade Math Interactive Notes
©Meghan Vestal, Vestal’s 21st Century Classroom LLC. All rights reserved. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for teachers, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Teachers may NOT upload the product to school/district servers, or to any website, or share digital or print copies. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). All sales are final.